November 27, 2011

Netbook Decision

So I kicked out the lights on my old netbook awhile ago. Bestbuy said it would cost them $200 to repair - and I only paid about $250-300 for it initially. I could get a screen online for about $60, but I wasn't sure if I could find a friend to install it for me and I didn't trust myself. If I found the screen myself, Bestbuy would repair it for $50, so I was looking at probably about $110.

This was months ago, and for months, I did nothing. My options were - A.) Repair it, B.) Not have a mobile device anymore, C.) Move to a smart phone or tablet, D.) Buy a new netbook.

The problem with A was that repairing it was a full half the value, for a device that was more than a year old. If I repaired it, and the next day the motherboard went out, I would not be happy.

The problem with B was that I didn't want to take my Macbook traveling or out on rainy days, and it was annoying to have no more convenient way to check email or take notes, especially with my lifestyle.

The problem with C was that note-taking was one of my principal needs for my netbook - mobile devices are tempting and I might still get a cheap one in the next 2-3 years as a third device (or maybe its time for a smartphone?), but the only one I could see replacing my netbook, imperfectly, is the iPad which is quite expensive.

The problem with D was that it was the most expensive of the options.

Over the weekend and during black friday I shopped tablets and netbooks. I came to the conclusion that I loved my current Toshiba netbook, the most recent version of which was on sale during black friday for $250, and the other options wouldn't really suit. I decided to repair it.

But then I went home and got on Amazon and started worrying that I would get the wrong kind of screen. Or that there would be some problem with it. Or that they would mess it up repairing it. And I looked at the current laptop and how dirty and worn it was on all the edges and wondered how much longer it would really be healthy inside. And I found a very gently used one on Amazon for $200 even.

So I ordered it and sent it to my house in Florida.

I guess I should be lucky that $200 is the most I've ever lost to sheer stupidity/clumsiness. :( But it's worth $200 to keep my Mac out of harms way!

No comments: