January 10, 2011

The Trouble with Writing

Tina suggests that I write about my favourite sound. I like the idea, but if I'm giving off the impression that I'm struggling for material, then I'm using the worst possible excuse. No, material isn't the problem. The problem is that there's too much waiting to be written about, having been experienced, and too much waiting to be experienced while I'm still young and strong and free. It's hard to sit down and struggle with the right adjectives when I really just want to keep moving.

I'm all about photography lately. It's so much more immediate, it's creative too but at least the way I do it it's sort of an automatic, intuitive creativity. Not so much struggle. And some people say it takes away from their experience, to be so focused on recording, but it's not that way for me at all - if anything, things intensify through the lens, like the rays of the sun focusing until they're hot enough to start a fire.

But right now I'm home. It's time to write. Once I get started I even enjoy it, but it's so hard to start. Writing club is on Wednesday, and it's Monday evening, so it's time to start thinking seriously. Do I write about the Badlands of South Dakota? Or the buffalo and the cactus and the prairie dog towns? The walk across Scotland? Ben Nevis? The Islands? Spain? As if I can write about Spain in less than 10,000 pages. But I should start somewhere. I need to learn to be more consistently productive.

No comments: