January 21, 2011

This is what I mean

A girl from my University is studying this semester in Barcelona. I happened upon her wordpress and left a friendly little message, saying that she had a nice blog, that I spent the last semester in Spain and she should feel free to contact me with any questions etc. No response. Mkay. In her blog post today, some misspelled Spanish. Mkay.

And more of this nonsense:

"The longer I am in Barcelona, the more I realize how cool their life is. No one has a worry in the world- they’re simply enjoying life and what it has to offer."

Really?? No one has any worries in Spain? I'm sure there's no economic troubles, disease, death, betrayal, stress, etc in other countries. Worries are an exclusively American thing. I'll try to remember that next time I have any problems. If I moved to Spain they'd all be fixed for sure.

"Spaniards respect each other and believe in having a worldly view. I bet a lot of Spaniards could tell American students a lot more about the United States than they know, which is a serious problem."

Spaniards respect each other? What? What is your evidence for such a blanket statement? Are you implying that Americans don't? And the second part is just plain wrong. A small percentage of Spaniards might know a bit more about American politics than the average citizen here, for example, but in four months, I only met four or five Spaniards who had even heard of my home state, and those only because they had personal ties to it in some way or another. I'm not saying they should - just that they don't.

The main idea of the entire post is that Americans are really ignorant compared to the rest of the world. Well, yes and no. I've known tons of up-to-date Americans. I've met loads of ignorant Europeans. This sort of ranting gets us nowhere. The post isn't even well written, imho. The girl's a journalism major. :S

No comments: