January 20, 2011

Things I'm Learning

I've learned about Reddit and added it to my free advertising repertoire, next to Stumble and Twitter.

I've learned that a good way to avoid cliches might be to remix cliches with the current theme. (I notice Rick Steves doing this in his stories - changing 'a stone's throw away' to 'a condom shot away' for example.)

I've learned that the niche thing is real. That's the kind of thing you have to learn by doing, I suppose. It's just so much harder to advertise an all-purpose sort of site, and, surprisingly enough, it's harder to think of good material. There are blogs that are just about 'travel' of course, like Everything Everywhere, but that guy really knows what he's doing. Normal people have to pick a region or a type of travel, and some of the more successful blogs choose both. I haven't, yet. My travel blog is multipurpose and that's probably one of it's biggest flaws. But the truth is I don't know what I want my niche to be yet. I've practiced doing blogs with themes - like my study abroad in Spain blog. I can do that. But right now I'm still playing around.

No comments: