May 31, 2006

Rest In Peace

I realize that I still have little to be sad about, compared with people who have lost so much. But the truth of the matter is that I used to have nothing to be sad about, and that this monthe began and ended with the first two heartbreaks of my life, and now I just want the crying and the hurt to be over.

Yesterday I had to put down I had to put my 8 year old Miniature Dachshund, Tootsie. I said goodbye to her and left; she's long gone by now. I won't bog you down with all the details, but she was fragile almost from birth, and her back gave out last fall. After surgery, she did alright for awhile, but had gone downhill lately, passed her recovery time. She was a good, sweet little dog, and we'll all miss her.

It hurts, but right now I just hope she's in a better place, although calling it without it being a black or white issue (like if she had really been in pain or paralyzed) was hard. And I'm glad to still have Tidbit; Tootsie was really my dad's dog, Tidbit's my baby.

It was a long goodbye, but telling them to end it was still hard.

Rest in Peace, Tootsie Roll Metheny.
Tootsie with Cousin Brian (Christmas 2004)

No comments: