April 04, 2006

The Last Shall Be First...

Apparently, the Racquetball society has gotten religious. It started the awards ceremony with a prayer, and then proceeded to follow the popularized scripture: "The last shall be first and the first shall be last."

As you all know, if you read my lovely blog as regulars, ;) I got the lowest trophy given by Missouri High School Racquetball or whatever it's called. Bah, whatever, it's still a trophy. But it meant that they started the awards ceremony with me. Being first, I had no idea where to go or what to do. First I walked towards the trophy and took it. That was right. Then I thought I returned to my seat. That was wrong. I didn't get that far, though. All the other judges, waiting to present trophies to their people, were standing in a seemingly expectant line. I went towards them helplessly, wondering if they wanted me to shake their hands. Lots of trophy things are like that, after all.

They were like, "Sure, why not." and took my hand. Bastards. They might have pointed or something. No, they indulged in my idiocy. But I knew something was off. I backed up. "Mark!" I hissed. "Where do I go?" He's half laughing at me, and says, "We'll get you back over there. I know it's hard." I'm smiling, holding my trophy, and thinking wtf? The second girl gets her trophy and Mark says, "Hide behind her and follow her back."

So I did. And then I was so humiliated I half hid behind Kate for the rest of it. Apparently, no one in the audience really noticed, but they could have given us the low-down on what to do, couldn't they have? I feel so... sacrificed.

Edit: It's still a shiny trophy :P

1 comment:

Jimmy Archer said...

That is REALLY cruel!!!

Imagine a teacher handing tests back, and says, "I'm going to hand the tests out according to marks, and we're going to start with the lowest mark first."

Cruel, yeah? Messed up, much?

It happened to one of my friends. Poor girl (who was stupid/brave enough to go) who went up first. Yeah, in front of the entire class.