August 20, 2011

Back in the Dorms

I'm about to spend my first night in my new building here in Columbia. It's Suite Style this time, which is new for me and so far I have mixed feelings about it. My suitemates seem nice, but four is just an awkward number to share a bathroom. A bathroom for one, like I had in South? Obviously ideal. A bathroom for a whole floor, cleaned daily by janitors, like I had in Laws? Different, but easy to get used to. In Germany I technically shared the bathroom with eight, but there were four rooms after they split showers from toilets and boys facilities from girls facilities. In Spain, I had to share with Jaime and Gianfranco, but Gianfranco was a guy and didn't use a lot of time or a lot of products, and Jaime and I had different shower schedules and she kept stuff in her room I think. I walked in the bathroom here and there's stuff everywhere. I don't know if I can just throw my stuff in the mix, there dont seem to be defined areas, there are two shelves in the shower which have been taken and another girl has taken one of the corners... if I use a second corner things are going to get really crowded. Later someone had locked the entire bathroom (within there are seperate lockable stalls for toilet and shower, and the sink outside) because they were using the toilet. Is that how it's supposed to work? I don't know anything. And tonight when I got in there was a hair straightener on the counter, plugged in and very hot. Probably has been there since the girls went out earlier. Is it that hard to unplug it? Isn't that a fire hazard? And with the cord it was stretched across half the counter space. No, do not like the bathroom situation. At least my room is nice and dark. :) An improvement over what I had in Laws and South. The noise, though, will take some getting used to. Especially my fridge... it never stops humming. Has it always been that bad? Its an adjustment to all be in one room again, I LOVED having a separate kitchen abroad. Now my sleeping room and my studying room and my eating room are all the same, and will smell like each other. But its a nice dorm, everything's in good condition and the location is not bad, better than Laws/South. I'm sure I'll get used to the drone of the fridge once again...

No comments: