March 01, 2011

Roughing it in Bonn

I thought they'd take way too good care of me here in Bonn, and at first they did. Registration was a breeze, and they gave me books of information, maps, timetables, etc. But somehow it only highlighted the things they didn't help with. There was even a shuttle to my dorm, but once it drove away... I was suddenly completely alone. I managed to get the keys to my room, filled out the damage form, and started to unpack. There were things I realized I needed. To start with, food and a blanket.

In Pamplona, things were closer together. Or were they really? Maybe Bonn only seems big and scary because its new. I tend to overestimate distances at first. Still, in Pamplona residences were built over shops, and the Eroski on the corner was so close I could practically hold my breath getting there from my apartment. Here it was a solid ten minute walk to the first grocery stores. I didn't know yet whether I could use any dishes or cookware, and I'd forgotten to bring a bag with me, so I just bought English Muffins, Olive Oil Butter Spread, Gouda Cheese, Garlic Bread, and a few ready-meals.

I drank tap-water out of my metal water bottle, and ate some potato-vegetable micro-meal with the tiny fork and spoon I keep inside of it. I'll have to go without a blanket, too. At least I have sheets and thermal wear.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Aw, honey. :( I'm sorry. Is the reslife staff there not as cool as in South?