September 20, 2010

Multiaventura Weekend

I got back from Club de Montana's Multiaventura just last night. It was an intense weekend, to say the least. The first day was great but almost had hints of summer camp, as we drove across Spain to settle into a sort of sports hostel, went on a little canyon hike, practiced rock climbing on the indoor walls, ate a quite decent but ultimately forgettable dinner in the hostel, and had to do a scavenger hunt until past our advisable bedtimes ( >:( ). (Mandatory staying up late (OR) getting up early is one thing, having both on the same trip pisses me off, people have different sleep needs and they should be free to try to get 8 or even 9 hours if they want.)

That said, the canyon hike was really cool, and the town we were staying in - Alquezar - was amazing! During our few hours of flexible time, a group of us explored the town, mostly the beautiful church up on the hill, where there was a wedding going on! We felt a bit like wedding crashers, but had been assured that the church was still open to tourists, so Carlos (new friend) and I went in, followed one woman up a tower staircase, and ended up making it all the way to the bell tower! We got out just barely in front of the bride, (the tell-tale music began as we stepped out the doorway! o.O) and got to watch her walk out and be showered with confetti and cheers by all the guests. Then someone started a series of loud, ground-laying fireworks that had been set all around us - excitement was in the air. Throughout the night, as we followed our scavenger hunt through the small town, the feeling of almost being part of the wedding continued. At one point we passed the bride and the wedding photographer disappearing down one of the dark alleys - minutes later, music started and fireworks were set off not far away, in the direction she had been headed. We speculated that she was the mayor's daughter. :) But who knows, really. Anyway, it was cool - the whole thing really made the town come alive.

The next morning we went canyoning. I'd heard about this briefly in Scotland and just thought, 'ow'. The guy there had explained it as 'kayaking through a canyon... without the kayak." Fun? Well, yes, actually, but also very nearly as painful as you might guess. We had wetsuits, tight and legit, which provided a lot of extra warmth and padding, but they didn't exactly make it a comfy exercize, just within the realm of possible. Which I guess is the point. :)

The place we went was basically like Johnson Shut In's on crack - bigger, better, much longer. The first part took us through lots of natural slides and smaller jumps, had us swim through steep sided narrow gorge's where the sun didn't reach and the water, while deep blue and beautiful, was freezing cold! This part was fun I guess, but also the least pleasant half by far, and I'm glad it was first. We were bruised, battered, and were all shivering somewhat violently by the time we emerged for the last jump and saw, just ahead, a very normal looking stretch of river, surrounded by green trees and sunlight. I felt that I'd come through the valley of danger and death and allowed myself to half hope that it was over, cool as it had been. When the guide said that the day was only HALF over, I despaired a little bit. I wasn't sure if I could do as much again...

But the second part was much more better. Less scary spots, less bruising, less bobbing in freezing water. More sunlight, more high jumps into large safe landing zones, more stretches of walking in order to thaw out. One section had three pretty high jumps (7, 9, and 13 meters), that all landed in a nice deep hole. I went on the 9 meter jump and enjoyed it so much I went again, and then Marketa (new friend) and I saw that some people were tackling the 13 meter, which was harder to get to and causing a lot of people to get nervous at the top. Marketa asked me if I wanted to go, and I was like, "Do you think he'll let us?" (We only saw big guys up there so far, and the tour guides had been somewhat protective of me, for better or for worse). and, "But hell yeah."

We swam across the river towards the jump. Mr. Tour guide looked somewhat doubtfully at the two of us. "It's really high." he said, in Spanish. "You can't hesitate, if you are afraid you can't do it."

"Pero yo lo puedo," said Marketa - But I can do it.

"Tienes miedo?" - Are you afraid?

"Yo lo puedo." - I can do it. He made a movement to let her pass.

"Yo no tengo miedo!" I shouted. I would be pissed if he let Marketa and not me.

People laughed, but he said, "Pues, adelante, si no tienes miedo que puedo decir yo." (Well, go on then, if you're not afraid what can I tell you."

We scrambled up to the top. The tricky element of the jump was immediately apparent - they wanted us to jump (from standing) and clear about three feet worth of horizontal rock before we'd reach the canyon. I was doubtful, but the guide was very clear that I should push off only from my left leg. (and that I must enter the water very straight and very strong). I went for it because it seemed like the only option, but once in the air I doubted if I could clear the edge, and the rock was pretty solid beneath me, so I put out one of my feet again for a second step, which connected very solidly and gave me a lot more propulsion. Once in the air it was actually much easier than some of the jumps because I had plenty of time to straighten my legs and fold my arms before entering the water. But still, the impact ripped my too-large gloves right off my hands! It was great, but they helped Marketa to inch down a bit lower than I had jumped from, because apparently the way I had done it wasn't as safe. As for myself, I certainly felt more uncertain about some of the smaller jumps from the first section, since there were more rocks and faster moving water, that you had to aim for a small zone and position yourself a certain way (legs up, cannonball, etc). Anyway, that jump was great.

From there there was a long long walk to the final jump - most of it through shallow water that just slowed you down. But the final jump was worth it - 11 meters off a waterfall. Since Marketa and I were two of only about four girls who had done the 13 meter in the end, the jump looked really really high to the others, and some were getting nervous and backing down. The first two girls who tried to jump, decided to go together, but on the /third/ count of three, one of them went and the other sat back down. The one who went, slipped on the edge and went off pretty clumsily. :S In the end, everyone jumped, but it was harder for some than others. My jump was quite fine, I found good footing and just went for it.

Once we all got to the bottom everyone swam around happier, whether because of sun, adrenaline, hypothermia, or relief, no one was cold anymore. We took a bunch of group pictures, played underneath one of the other waterfalls, and then took off our helmets and used them to great effect in a massive splash fight!

It was a great time. I got some awesome pictures, made some great friends, and wouldn't trade it for anything. But man, am I sore this morning. XD

No comments: