September 03, 2010

Matriculation

That's what they call class registration here, as if it wasn't scary enough. It's been basically a lot of fun, although I've been keeping close track of the nitty-gritty's on my Pamplona blog, so I won't go through it all again here. Still, I want to give a basic idea of what's going on... at this point I think I've figured out everything but my Spanish Literature classes. On one hand that's good, on the other hand that's the one I'd almost rather have figured out already, since I'm likely to get less help and understanding for it. Anyway, I'm more or less certain on the following classes:

Cultura Visual -Basically, art history with a journalism twist.
Fundamentos Culturales de la Comunicacion III - Basically, literature with a journalism twist.
Literatura y Cine - Basically, film lit with a journalism twist.
Language and Communication - My only English class, basically the interesting and relevant parts of linguistics.

If the first three seem to have something in common, it's because they do. Basically they're part of the gen ed for Journalism majors here, but they look like they'll transfer fine as Journalism Electives to Mizzou, so fair's fair. So far I've attended Cultura Visual and it seems very interesting, and Fundamentos Culturales should be similar. I think they're just at the right level for something for me to take in Spanish that will challenge me but not kill me, and at least Cultura Visual so far seems enhanced by the difference in cultural perspective. Literatura Cine is a tiny bit different as it is an elective here too, and it is on Mondays and Tuesdays, so we'll see how that goes, but I'm confident that it's a good choice.

Language and Communication will by far be my easiest class, as I know a lot about linguistics, and a full 1/5 of the class seems to be devoted to helping the students perfect their English. I wouldn't want all my classes to be like this, but I think to have one class like this will be a good thing - one course that won't stress me out, where I can feel confident and not an idiot. Plus, I finally get a chance to formally study linguistics and consolidate my knowledge about it. I even feel good about the teacher there, she is very nice and has so far advised me almost as much as my real adviser, when I was telling her about my literature class.

What's still up in the air, then, are my Spanish Lit classes. I wanted to take something like Contemporary Hispanic Literature or Latin American Literature or something, but it seems like almost all of those are only taught second semester (??), and the single exception conflicts with two of my Journalism courses, so it's a no go. I looked into the more specialized classes, but as interesting as they look, I think I'd have to kill myself to pass, as older literature means highly specialized vocabulary, etc.. and the classes are designed for third and fourth year, native speaker philology students. As much as I want an academic challenge here, I don't think it's going to be too easy just to take ordinary classes in Spanish, not sure I need to kill myself and all of my free time with trying to get through medieval Spanish texts, looking up every word.

So I'm basically down to two choices - Literatura Universal, which I would take with Spanish students... it won't be too easy, but I think it would be interesting, and doable... if I can get my school to accept it as a Spanish Lit or even Spanish Elec course, I think I'm going to go for it. About 1/3 of the readings are originally Spanish, and the rest are in translation. How fun will it be in a twisted, perverse way, to have read Crime and Punishment in Spanish? But then again, it's no less authentic than reading it in English.

If I can't get it to count for anything, and possibly even if I can (since Literatura Universal is fewer credits than the other Lit classes would have been), I'm going to look into ILCE, which is basically the selection of classes offered about Spanish to foreign students. I've been told the classes there are probably below my level, but looking at the course descriptions I think some of them will be far less than others. There are classes that I think I could get to transfer easily, like some literature and culture classes, and even an interesting one called Introduction to Translation. I'm waiting to see what Mizzou says about Literatura Universal, and whether I have to pay extra to take ILCE courses (they are insanely expensive, actually). Meanwhile I'm planning to take the placement test on Monday. Not too stressed about it.

Yep, always fun here. :D

Yeps. :P Always fun here...

No comments: