September 06, 2010

Groceries, ILCE, and Credits Back Home

I went to the store this morning for groceries - I needed something for breakfast, as I didn't think of it on Friday, on Saturday I took a trip, and on Sunday everything was closed. I could have eaten Nutella on Maria Cookies, but I like to do a little better than that. I was hoping for yoghurt, but the grocery store didn't look like it was going to open until 9, when I had to be in class, so I hopped across the street to the Bonbon shop/bakery and bought a little loaf of bread for 0.55€, came home, cut it in half, filled half of it with wildberry jam and nutella, and started off towards campus for the language test.

It was delicious. The breakfast roll, I mean, not the test. The test was the typical sort of language test, I guess, and I didn't give it my best effort because frankly I didn't care. The chances it will be any good to me are pretty low. There were a lot of questions that wanted the subjunctive out of me, as I expected, but it was actually harder than I expected... I don't know if whoever wrote the test did a sloppy job, whether it was more colloquial language than I had learned, or whether there are dialectal differences at play here, but a lot of times I thought they were leaving words out... it was weird. But, like I said, I didn't care too much.

I went and talked to the secretary later and it turns out that the basic classes, like Espanol 1 (which has 6 different levels, according to ability, which makes perfect sense, you know), are pretty cheap - 150-200€. Its the classes I'm interested in, like literature, that are insanely expensive. Oh well, I'll see what level I test into and whether Mizzou will take any of the basic credits, but I'm not enthusiastic. I'm pretty much okay at this point with only taking my 12 credit minimum, and having 9 of them count for Journalism and 3 as sort of general electives. At least I'll have some free time, and I might even need the extra time just to pass the courses that I'm in, what with looking at hundreds of pages of textbook reading in Spanish, and it seems like yes, people do do the readings here.

My semesters at home will probably be a hair tighter than I would have wanted if I do it this way, but I'll talk to my advisers and if I can't do it, I can't do it - I won't go to Norway. But we'll see, my current plan had me taking 16 credits a semester while at home and 12 while abroad, so this really barely sets me back, and not at all if I can get a Spanish credit or two in Germany or Norway (which actually may be easier than getting one here, stupid as it sounds). And I'm pretty sure I could bump my 16 average up to 19 and barely feel it, and up to like 21 in a pinch, even with harder classes, especially if I wasn't working. It would totally be worth it to buckle down and have a difficult senior year if it meant I could study abroad now.

Doesn't mean I'm not a little pissed about the situation here. At least I'm getting the journalism credits, those are the less flexible ones.

No comments: