April 19, 2010

Travel Blogging and Niches

So, this summer I'm definitely going to start a travel blog. A good one. I started a little one that never got much traffic and I don't blame it because it simply wasn't very good. The content was solid but there was nothing that was bringing people back to it. I had too many facts and not enough stories. I've learned a lot from that one and also from my Journalism classes and SATW events and reading other travel blogs, so I think I'm ready to give it another go. I also have enough material, finally, to keep it going for a long time - I have my past experiences, plus a full summer of travel ahead and a semester each in Spain and Germany. Lack of material isn't a problem - the problem might be the opposite.

I want to do everything. And I'm not supposed to want that. I'm supposed to find a niche, a focus... either horizontally or vertically and stick with that. That's what they all told me at SATW and I totally see where they're coming from. Other blogs do this, even if some of them seem to have a theme of all travel, it usually translates to country hopping fairly superficially. Not that that's bad either, just different, and sort of expensive. They told me that if I couldn't sum up the niche in one clear and simple sentence, it wasn't a niche. That's true too, I'm sure. I definitely have interests and I don't feel that I'm a generalist. But I guess I am. I mean, can't my niche be Spanish speaking countries, Northern Europe, and Japan? (Oh, and Siberia too... ideally... maybe want to leave open the possibility of India and Southeast Asia as well... and anyway how can I judge China until I've been there? And I like all of Southern Europe, not just Spain... also German speaking countries... and I'm so curious about Eastern Europe!)

Um.... okay... yeah... a vertical specialty isn't going to work - I love too many cultures, languages, regions. So how about horizontal? One type of travel. Eco-Travel is cool and all, but there are hippies more suited to that. One thing I can say isn't really for me is cute, artsy, shopping travel. The people who write those are much better suited to it than I am. But I don't want it to be off limits either! Even I sometimes find a really cool shop and want to write about it. Hmmm.... so what part/kind of travel interests me the most? Budget! But maybe I'll grow out of that a little bit. And I'm certainly willing to pay up for things I can't get any other way, like staying in a Ryokan on Miyajima. Okay, so maybe not budget, although that's an aspect... Youth Travel! Right, I am young, and I travel. But I'm not going to be young forever, and anyway it's a bit of an open/artificial topic anyway, especially since I go for things that youth aren't always expected to go for. Adventure? That's what SATW was recommending. I do like ice swimming, sauna, ziplining, long walks... all sorts of stuff some would find scary or crazy. I don't have a lot of fear.

At the same time, I have pretty strict boundaries for this stuff that would prevent me from being the best Adventure Writer. I shy away from things that have too much risk involved. Bungee jumping at a reputable place? Sure. Skydiving? Erm.... maybe. Before I have any dependents. Base-Jumping? No way. I'm not afraid of pain but I think I'm too afraid of dying young to really be awesome at that. Cultural Travel? Now there's a thought. It's a growing industry. Actually I have no idea whether it is or not, I just said that. I should probably go look it up. But really, that's what I like to do - immerse myself in the other culture. Learn the language. Do what they do - even if we would find it extreme or something. (Take ice swimming - pretty normal in Finland, pretty 'extreme' here, but I don't find it overly risky because there are people who do it regularly and are fine... it's not invented for the thrill alone.)

Hmmm... that's really an idea. I should see whether they have a market for that. Still, I feel that Cultural Travel requires specialization, because you have to get in depth. Which is what I want, but probably would be better if I picked a more cohesive geographic region. :S Anyway, I'm ending the conversation for now by saying that I think I have a few more years to see the world and decide on my niche. But there's still the question of the blog.... O.O

I can either... keep this blog and get no experience with travel blogging but keep my sanity, make a new blog for Spain only (probably best aesthetically etc, but will necessarily have a limited run and then what? A new blog for Germany?), or make a new blog for all travel and just let it be Spain Heavy for a little while.

No comments: