April 26, 2010

The Photo


It's been almost exactly 8 years since I came across this photograph in a National Geographic magazine. Today, Stumble took me to the photographers portfolio at http://www.art-dept.com/artists/mccurry/portfolio/portfolio.html and I was enjoying all of the shots and the sense of place and life they evoked. And then I came to this picture, and I blinked, and realized, yes, this was the picture.

I had just turned twelve, and I was so taken by the look in the woman's eye... so I sat down and drew it and then I drew and drew and drew. In just a week I drew dozens of pictures that were quite nice, and my mom was so startled - especially by the original - that she actually called my dad and told him that I was at home drawing like a professional.

The quality of each picture diminished as the week went on. I couldn't stop it, strangely. Maybe I got impatient. I don't know. As for the original, and best, picture (not an exact copy of the photo above, but greatly inspired by it)... I left it on a school bus and never saw it again. For a while afterwards I at least tried to find the original photograph, but I never did for some reason, not until this evening.

Hmm.

No comments: