August 24, 2007

Norwegian - The Class



I finally got all the paperwork filled out, signed, and turned in. This involved a classic chase scene before first hour in which I ran down to Plunkett's office to find her, then was told she might be by the senior locker bay or the cafeteria, at this point the bell rang, raced down to the cafeteria, didn't find her but had Mr. Bollman radio her and tell her to stay where she was (near the locker bay), ran up three flights of stairs, gave her my form, spoke a bit of Norwegian for her amusement, ran back to where I left my stuff, was interrogated by Sra. Altadonna, grabbed my stuff and ran across the floor to Art History just in time for class. And I made the deadline for adding a class. SO worth it.

The idea of having Norwegian for an actual class thrills me. It's also nice that I'll only be required to do the level 1a equivelant, because I'm only doing it for one semester. But after I finish the wordlist I've assigned myself for the first night... "Ja, nei, hus, tog, fly...", I get on youtube and watch funny videos. No, I don't understand every word, but yeah, I do understand most of it. If only they knew...

And speaking of funny videos, this one was especially amusing. (The one with the blonde girl and the computer geek was almost as funny, but subtitled and not really especially Norwegian in content...)

For those of you who don't speak Norwegian but wish to enjoy the snippet, basically it's about a whole bunch of Italian death metal fans who are learning Norwegian so that they can understand their favourite bands or even have their own fake Norwegian death metal songs. The best scene is when they're all in the classroom wearing black and goth make up, reading from a book that looks just like my textbook... Oh, but I have to give the one guy credit. He knew more of the anthem than I do. (I only know enough to recognize it, really...)


***

Edit: I looked up the sentences in question, they almost have to be from some version of Teach Yourself Norwegian, which says,

"Her kan vi spise koldtbord. Det er typisk skandinavisk... jeg liker fisk og reker."

While the film says,

"Her kan vi spise koldtbord. Jeg liker fisk og reker. Det er typisk norsk."

No comments: