August 25, 2007

Hairspray and Hispanohablantes

My sister and I went to see Hairspray today. It was really silly, quite unrealistic, but still, cheerful and fun. It was funny how they combined the plight of black people and that of fat people... Also, there were a couple parts that were really amusing and detailed. For example, when the best friend's hyper religious mom starts randomly reading from her bible, and she just happens to read that... um... interesting part about "Let us make our father drink wine, and lay with him." Also, a scene with the two antagonists (blonde and skinny, but rather beautiful), has them against some white wallpaper in their house, in white dresses, with a fluffy white dog. That was great.

Before we saw that we ate in the food court. Melissa got Chinese and I got Japanese... wow, we're so original. I was actually torn between a roast beef sub and Japanese, but I'm glad I picked Japanese. The person in front of me in line was friends with the guy who worked there, and they spoke softly but I could just make out that it was in Spanish. So I ordered in Spanish, and the guy was thrilled... we chatted in Spanish as the food was prepared and he gave me a nice discount. :D (Barry Farber is right and my hero. Buy his book. They've actually just republished it in a nice, thick hardcover, but the tiny paperback (beats me) is just a nice.)

No comments: