May 09, 2007

Reflection on Blue Skittles

Thanks to the Audball for getting me started on this. :P

*This raises some questions. Blue skittles seem to have no resemblance to actual food. What flavor is blue? What foods are even blue? (I don't count Blueberries because they're more night sky than electric.

Well, there's blueberries, which are dark like you said but if they're used as a flavouring it's much lighter.

Then there's blue corn, again very dark.

The blue potato is more like purple, and caused by a viral infection.

Artificially, of course, you have blue gelatin, Popsicles, mnms, etc.

Strangely, they usually flavor these "Blue Raspberry", which doesn't even make sense. Also, Blue Shaved Ice and Blue Tootsie Rolls are vanilla flavoured. Blue Tootsie Roll POPS, on the other hand, were blue on the wrapper, purple inside, and grape flavoured.

Perhaps because of the Carribean Sea, blue has a tropical connotation, and is sometimes assigned a pineapple flavour.

Blue Curacao is a liquor from my favorite vacation spot! :D It is also the only blue liquor in the world.

One of the reasons few foods are blue is that blue is a slightly alkaline colour, and most foods are slightly acidic.

Personally, the blue skittles always reminded me of shampoo... :)

2 comments:

The Audball said...

I think it's so cool you created a post from my post.

Blue rasberries don't make any sense. I'd never thought of them as shampoo-like, but now that you mention it...

Since you asked, I'm working at Ben & Jerry's.

Alexander Laska said...

Hey, I'm a friend of "TheAudball" (we got to school together), and I just wanted to say your post amused/enlightened me very much :) I personally don't eat skittles, but I figured they were that bold shade of blue to make it REALLY obvious that they were blueberry.