September 15, 2011

Goodbye, Summer!

Its already pretty chilly outside. Yesterday was rainy, windy, and in the low fifties. It'll improve again by this weekend, but summer is definitely over, and autumn is coming fast and colder than average, I believe. It's okay in a  sense. I love fall - it's my favorite season. But this was the coldest summer I've ever had, after the warmest winter. Ironic considering how the year's been for my home state of Missouri!

I regret nothing. The last 14 months have probably been the best in my life. I was always afraid of saying that in the past tense, but really, they were so good that I'm sort of okay with it. 18 countries, crazy adventures, unbridled freedom like I may never have again, things that were so incredibly beautiful they made me cry, learning so much every long day that my dreams went around in circles in the short nights. Yes, it was wonderful - no regrets.

Still, I haven't had quite enough baking in the after-dark heat, or had time to enjoy the sense of freedom that comes from bare arms and shoulders. I've been on the boat a lot, since my dad goes out on it every day at the lake, and I've gone swimming at least the bare minimum of times in these last weeks... but it still wasn't anything like those summers I remember, with days and days spent in the water and eating frozen pizzas in swimsuits. How much of that, I wonder, would I lose anyway as adulthood creeps towards me?

No comments: