June 28, 2011

What I Learned Today

Today I learned from In that in Korea it's considered very awkward/rude/inappropriate to lay down in front of a member of the opposite sex. Like, unless you are really good friends. Or in some special circumstance like a foreign hostel (and when sleeping it's not quite as bad). And it's worse for a girl in front of a boy.

And I learned that there's a frozen yogurt place in Bonn and that the Indian restaurant on Clement-August Strasse IS open sometimes after-all.  

I learned from my roommates that in Palestine vigilante revenge killings are still normal, that Persian and Arabic share an alphabet but interpret it quite differently, that in Iran they say 'merci' for thank you, generally, and that the word for frog in Farsi uses the weird 'q' letter twice, and the sound for a croak of a frog uses it, too.

And I didn't learn a thing in my classes. Five hours of class and all we did was watch two movies, one was a hot mess of sparse German narration, mostly Guarani dialogue without subtitles, and a bit of French and Portuguese thrown in for good measure. The other was probably a good movie but we had to stop it and leave right before it got to the point (about illegal immigration in Spain). Pretty much par for the course here, though. The International Office classes may be rediculously easy, but I understand the system and I can point to what I've learned. The other classes are just... weird. Too abstract. Too theoretical. Too many weird movies.

No comments: