October 12, 2010

I love them so much.

Can I get plugged back into the matrix? Please?

It's raining, but I have to go to the 24 hour store because Emily's not sure it's open in the morning. This is funny. This is funny.

The store-owner and I switch between English and Spanish, and sometimes I'm not sure which language I'm speaking, or which one he's speaking either. Do treinta. You have treinta centavos? Lo siento, estoy cansada, no entiendo. Cuanto? Todo esto dos treinta. Where you from? España? No, los Estados Unidos. Y tu? Nigeria, he says. His g sounds like a y.

How long have you been here? Dos meses ahora. You're welcome. Gracias. De Nada.

Emily goes to sleep the moment I get home. She's tired and getting sick. She needs some new clothes, some warm clothes, but still I feel bad for dragging her about this weekend. I go into her kitchen and want to talk to someone - suddenly I get Allan, Lucia, and my Mom, all at once. I talk to my mom for half an hour. She's so good. I talk to my dad too, and even my sister for a little while. They're so good. I love them so much.

That's real, if it's the one real thing. It's too much and too good. Life isn't long enough for it. I love them so much...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you so much, too honey!! You are the best! Love, Mom

Tina said...

This is a beautiful little piece of writing. You have a very musical voice.