October 20, 2010

Eroski Curry

When it's cold, I start craving certain types of food. I really do feel that they keep me warm! :) Seasonal affects aside, I've been craving curry since I left home (probably because I eat way too much of it there), and the Indian lunch I grabbed with Sara in Madrid only made it worse - it was enough like my curry to remind me of how much I missed it, but too different (and with too much cilantro... yuck) to really sate my desire.

I spent some time trying to figure out how to make a very easy and basic curry. This isn't just laziness at work here - I have to share a kitchen (so I can't make my own paneer or anything exotic like that), I don't have any specialty equipment, and I prefer to use only ingredients from Eroski, my nearest grocery store, rather than make a maybe-fruitful, maybe-not hike to Carrefour or Corte Ingles. In the end I came up with something that worked quite well. I do wish I'd been able to find ginger, but Eroski doesn't carry it and Cabrabo (the next store down) was out. I tried to compensate by adding more 'curry powder', but that didn't work so well. Adding some lemon worked much better!

So - curry that you can make with all-Eroski ingredients! This is basically the recipe I followed:

Heat up some oil, add some cumin and a chopped onion. Cook for a while until the onion is translucent. Add three cloves garlic, chopped finely. Add a lot of red pepper powder, a lot of curry powder, and a little cinnamon. Add a can of crushed tomato and a single serving of unflavoured yoghurt. Let cook and thicken for a while, add salt and honey to taste, and the juice of one lemon.

See? Super easy. And it's just the sauce, so you can eat it with whatever, either by throwing some vegetables or meat or something in it now, or by putting the curry over whatever you want to eat later. I had a can of peas I wanted to get out of my pantry, so I mixed a ladleful of the curry with those and it was quite tasty with bread. :) For dinner I might cook some potatoes and put those in. Endless possibilities. ^^

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fuck you bitch!