August 22, 2010

Leap of Faith

Allan and I are spending the night in the airport tonight. Our flight to Barcelona leaves at 8 tomorrow morning, and there's no train that goes to the airport early enough, so we're going in on the last train tonight and killing about 6 hours before we have to check in.

Since coming to Scotland my bag is lighter by gifts given (playing cards, magnets, a chocolate frog, a ceramic spoon holder)... and things lost (a UV filter, a pair of hiking boots)... heavier by gifts received (maps, a Chilean flute, toffee, two books)... and things purchased (McAllister tartan scarves for my family, a London London London bag for Melissa, a Great Glen Way tea towel, a pair of celtic knotwork earrings, a Scots-English dictionary)... The net difference is almost negligible.

I'll miss the food here - the meat pies and the coronation chicken and the Cadbury, Thorntons, and Galaxy chocolates, the salty Moffat toffee, the overly sweet Indian food, the Swedish crisprolls, the Muller yoghurt with tons of tasty chocolate bits. Starting tomorrow, I'll have a new country's worth of food to adapt to, and somehow thinking of that makes it more real than anything else that I'm going to be living in Spain, at least sort of - 4 months, so on the border of legit. I'll stay put. I'll unpack. I'll settle into a routine. I'll have a grocery store and favourite foods I buy every week, and maybe a bakery I go to every other morning for Pan Au Chocolat. Just a guess. I really don't know. Anything. It's a leap of faith, an expectation that come December, it will all seem so natural, so inevitable, so... normal.

No comments: