July 29, 2007

Summer is Ending

I was just on Stephanie's lovely blog, and it rehashed all the things we'd said during our walk in Queenie on Friday. Summer's Ending... And it's going to leave us as Seniors. And when the year that is now beginning ends - and it surely will - it will leave us as adults. Gone are the days when I could fall into a period of my life and trust it to hold for a while, as I settled in. Even the phases of my life may be going to fast.

When the last summer of childhood ends, where does that leave you?


* No more family camping trips
* No more long, long mosquito nights
* No more hopeless summer goals
* No more promises that vanish in the heat
* No more Harry Potter
* No more Pirates of the Caribbean



Then again, this summer has hardly been a summer. I've worked... changed diapers and shelved books and baked brownies in exchange for green slips of paper that smell like a thousand human hands. I've studied... Latin at Starbucks, early in the morning, Finnish at the pool, in a moldy, shady corner, Chinese at night, struggling to twist my mind around tones.

It's not as if there haven't been benefits - I'm 2,000 dollars the richer, have brushed up on the Latin basics, learned to make a few funny sounds, and gotten a head start for Finnish, after all - but I'm not ready for summer to end.

I haven't yet cleared the slate for the new year. Haven't cleaned my room until it shines, haven't done every last scrap of laundry, haven't forgotten everything intellectual and replaced it with sludge, haven't rp-ed, haven't gotten so lazy I sleep in til noon each day, haven't descended to the level of watching the TV, haven't started getting curious about new teachers and courses, haven't purchased school supplies and laid them out in a tidy little row, haven't started an epic length novel I'll never finish, haven't worked on a leisure reading book list...

NOTHING!

Two weeks from tomorrow lies in shadows, the beginning of a year of school that still seems far away. And beyond that... darkness.

I'm eager in a way, but I want these things to take their own good time. I'm not ready, not really, I haven't done everything I wanted to...

Been so busy looking forward that I failed to exhaust present potentials...

And now, for the first time in my life, something is ending.

7 comments:

Ellen Margrethe said...

Hei. :)
Vertsfamilien min snakker ikke norsk.. så det blir nok bare engelsk! hehe..

Anonymous said...

The epic length novel wouldn't happen to be Anna Karenina, would it?

Mrs. McFarland will be so disappointed. I read it three weeks ago, and I'm not even in Book club.

No worries though. This summer hasn't been a very good summer for reading. Maybe next summer you can work on that book list, especially since we'll be getting out early. :)

Elindomiel said...

Haha, I actually forgot about Anna Karenina. And I've been reading it... but it's a slow read, though enjoyable. I'm halfway through.

Anonymous said...

Muwahahaha...guess who doesn't start school until September 7th? ^.^

Jimmy Archer said...

FWIW, I already think of you as an adult--there's just silly procedures of this society that you haven't completed yet. Of course, being an adult doesn't mean you're perfect or meet many people's standards. But I'd say you're pretty mature.

Anonymous said...

I'd personally prefer that the end of days happened suddenly- that way we won't have to think about all the time. Plus, who doesn't like a nice surprise?

Anonymous said...

Good words.