April 18, 2012

The Faroese Forests

Sometimes I have this funny idea that I want to make really misleading travel posters. Pictures that were taken in the country but haven't captured its average, its stereotype, its feel, whatever. And I'm torn between just humourously misleading, and trying to showcase another aspect of the place that's too often overlooked. Snowy Italian Alps. Modern Architecture in Norway. The sunny beaches of Scotland.

And right now I have this desire to make a troll post about the "Faroese Forests" with pictures I've taken from their specially planted groves inside of towns. (the Faroes do not have natural forests, or even trees.) You can read about the 'tree situation' in the Faroes here: http://faroesestamps.blogspot.com/2011/04/europa-2011-forests.html They did a quite good job finding motifs for those stamps, but in fact I recognized immediately what both of them depict (I mean the exact place!)- that's how little forested area there is in the Faroes! :)







2 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

These pictures are absolutely amazing!

Elindomiel said...

Haha thanks! :D I think the non 'trick' photos in the Faroes are even better though!