December 09, 2009

Superhuman Zahra

It's snowing today, finally, and it's also wicked cold. I've still been wearing just a sweatjacket and peacoat around... today was the last straw where that's concerned. It's 16 degrees Fahrenheit today, with -3 degrees Fahreneheit windchill... (-9 and -19 in celsius) so it's time to get serious with my down coat and something to cover my ears. My last class today was in the physics building, about a half hour walk from South. On the way back I ducked into the rec center 'to go to the bathroom'. I sat down on a bench and read a book until I could feel my cheeks again, and then finished the walk home.

And in the middle of the day I run into Zahra, of all people, looking calm and composed in her grey wool still, and she tells me that she loves the snow and seems surprised that people are acting like it's so cold out. I really do think the girl is superhuman - two months ago she seemed to freeze if the temperature dropped below 50. I think if you dropped her off on the moon without a spacesuit she'd adapt.

No comments: