May 01, 2012

Little piece of Norway in Alrek

Ffinlo and I watched the fifth episode of Game of Thrones. As I was leaving we ran into Eirik, from Voss, carrying the book version to lend to Ffinlo. We started chatting with him about the series and other nonsense, and before long we ran into another friend who hails from Eastern Norway. We spoke about the lovely warm days we've been having (I managed to get a sunburn today) and then about Syttende Mai, and I joked that I considered bringing my Renaissance fair costume but decided it would be offensive. Simultaneously, Eirik said, "To be honest with you, it wouldn't be," and the other said, "To be honest with you, it would be." The Easterner challenged Eirik on this, so Eirik said, "Have you seen the rediculous things they call bunad in Bergen?" And then the Easterner asked if he was looking for a fight, Ffinlo reminded him he wasn't from Bergen, and the Easterner started saying something about his Vestfold bunad, and then Eirik interjected that anything costing less than $3,000 shouldn't be considered a bunad. and Then I asked about Vestfold and before long we were talking about the fountains and the statues of Sandefjord. Yes, I love this country.

2 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I am getting ready to purchase season 1 of Game of Thrones...I can't wait to see it. Is it as good as the hype?

Elindomiel said...

I would say so... then again I read and loved the books years before the series was made, so I'm biased. But I think they've done a great job with the adaption. Fantasy/historical drama fans should love it... but even my mom who normally rejects anything unreal stuck with the first season. :)